Saturday, February 16, 2013

DIY ~ Powder Laundry Detergent

The cost of laundry detergent these days is getting ridiculous. 
You can cut costs by making your own. 
This makes a very large batch, so before starting make sure you have a container big enough to store in. 
I only make half a batch at a time because I don't have a container big enough. 

~ note; prices next to items are approximate and for my area (Canada) ~

What You Need; 
  • 1 Box of Borax (4 lb) $6.00
  • 1 Box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (Make sure it is washing soda-not baking soda) (3 lb) $5.00
  • 2 Boxes of Baking Soda (Small - regular size ones) $1.98
  • 1 Container of Oxy Clean (3lb) (I used the store brand of this) $5.00
  • 2 Bars of Laundry Soap (I used Linda brand) (Found in laundry aisle) $4.00
  • Bottle of Purex Crystals (Optional but smells yummy!) $5.00
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
First, in a large bucket carefully stir together borax, washing soda, baking soda, and oxy clean. I recommend only doing parts of each product at a time to ensure everything is mixed together well. 
Then add grated laundry soap bars and purex crystals(if wanted). Mix extremely well. It's hard on the arms! 
 Store in large airtight container
I also store the laundry powder in the empty purex crystal container for easy use in the laundry room. 
Use 1 - 2 tablespoons per load. That's it. 
    You barely need any of this mixture to get you clothes clean. 
And believe me, it will get them clean! 
This stuff is like magic! 
I have notced since using it that my white are much whiter than with store bought liquid detergent and bleach. 

~ * remember this is a no suds detergent. So when you don't see any bubbles forming, don't worry. It is still doing its job! * ~

2 comments:

  1. This det. is great - so glad I found the recipe on pinterest. I made it in a smaller batch the first time to make sure I liked it and it does. Definitely will make it again and again. Smells great too with the Purex crystals - a little of that goes a long ways. Thanks for posting. www.kimberleeskorner.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad I could help! I love the positive feedback :)

      Delete