Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Homemade Cheesy Scallop Potatoes


I love me some scallop potatoes. 
I'm usually a cheater and will buy the boxed kind, or if I am feeling extra cheater-y I will buy the frozen kind.
I know, I know. 
But, I wanted to try to make my own scallop potatoes. 
I've wanted to do it for awhile now and I finally decided to do it the other day. 
I also discovered something. 
All the ingredients to make the potatoes were cheaper than the boxed ones, and a lot cheaper than the frozen kind. 

I estimate for this recipe its about $3-$4 depending on where you purchase your ingredients.

Ingredients;
3 - 4 Russet Potatoes (washed and sliced very thin)
2 tbl of butter 
2 tbl of flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese 
salt and pepper to taste

Cheese Sauce
In a small sauce pan, melt butter and mix in flour. 
Stir until completely incorporated. 
Add milk and whisk. 
Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. 
Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. 


In the bottom of a casserole dish, make a layer of potatoes that completely covers the bottom. 
Add half the cheese to cover the potatoes. 
Add another layer of potatoes to cover the cheese sauce. 
Add remaining of cheese sauce. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown and bubbly. 

Finished Product. Yum-o.

No comments:

Post a Comment