Monday, March 4, 2013

Freezing Fruits and Vegetables

 
 
When you grocery shop once a month you have to find ways to make your produce last as long as possible.
Freezing is a great way to do that.
There are certain fruits and vegetables that I have found very convenient to freeze and I wanted to share them with you.
 
 
Carrots, peeled and chopped
Bell Peppers, washed and chopped
Green Onions, washed and chopped
Asparagus, washed and ends snapped off
Zucchini, washed and chopped
Snap Peas, washed and ends cut off
Green Beans, washed and ends cut off
Broccoli, washed and chopped
Brussel Sprouts, washed and cut
Celery, washed and chopped
 
 
 
Raspberries, washed and patted dry
Strawberries, washed and patted dry (whole or sliced)
Blueberries, washed and patted dry
Blackberries, washed and patted dry
Grapes, washed and pulled off vine
Bananas, just as they are (perfect for using in banana bread)
 
 
 
I highly reccommend using freezer bags for this to prevent freezer burn from ruining your produce.
I also recommend washing, peeling, chopping and doing anything else your produce needs before you freeze it. If you take the time to prepare the items before you throw them in the freezer it will save time later on.
It is very convenient to open a bag of sliced frozen carrots, grab a scoop and throw it in with the meal I am preparing.
It seriously cuts down on prep time for meals.
The day I come home from shopping I place all the produce items that need to be cleaned and froze onto the counter while I put away the rest of my items. I then crank some tunes and get to work.
I will also chop soft produce that can't be put in the freezer at this time; lettuce, cucumber, herbs, spinach, etc. I will also leave out some carrots, peppers, and a portion of fruits for snacking on.
 
Freezing your produce will ensure that you will have fresh vegetable and fruits all month long.
Even if you aren't up for freezing everything, try freezing a couple things and see how it goes for you and your family.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment